Wednesday, April 8, 2015

DIY Gemstone Necklace

Don't ask me why, but for some reason I've been really obsessed with anything gemstone-related lately. For instance, I've been itching for some moonstone jewelry & happened to come across a BEAUTIFUL moonstone ring at TJ Maxx a few weeks ago and I thought it was fate - until I realized they only had one, and that it was about two sizes to small for my chubby fingers. go-figure (*eyeroll*)! 


So, I did what any sensible (crazy) person would do, and I turned to Etsy in search of gemstones with plans to make my own jewelry (that would actually fit ;)!). I had a gift card left over from Christmas, and ended up purchasing a few different gemstone connectors (moonstone, labradorite, and lemon topaz) from the seller Jewelersparadise:


Since I was still a little butt-hurt over the whole ring-of-my-dreams-not-fitting debacle, I decided to make a moonstone necklace to boost my spirits :) 
Here's how I did it:

Supplies
  • Gold jewelry chain 
    • I purchased mine from Joann's & used a coupon
  • 4 gold jump rings (3 small and one medium-sized)
  • 1 gold lobster clasp closure
    • I think mine came in the package with my chain
  • Gemstone connector
  • (3-In-1) Jewelry Pliers
    • I got mine from Walmart
Step 1: Open one of the small jump rings and use it to attach the gemstone connector to the chain & then close it, like this:


 
                                        

Step 2: Using another small jump ring, Repeat step 1 to attach the the other side of the gemstone connector & chain together. By now it should look like this:

Step 3: Place the "center" of your chain between the cutting part of your 3-in-1 jewelry pliers & squeeze down to cut the chain into two, like this:



Step 4: Open your last small jump ring & use it to attach your lobster clap to one side of the chain & then close it, like this:

Then attach your medium-sized jump ring to the other half of the chain:




And that's a wrap, you're done! :)


-xquitecreativex

No comments :

Post a Comment