Thursday, April 2, 2015

DIY Glitter Coasters


Here's the deal - I'm a lover of crafting, but, let's be honest: as much fun as it is to experiment and make things - purchasing supplies at your local craft store can add up pretty quickly and become quite expensive (even with coupons)! This is where my love for the Dollar Tree began. It's no secret that the dollar tree he is holy grail of crafting, specifically, cheap crafting!

Today I happened to visit a Dollar Tree, and not only did I find a few useful items I actually needed (including a USB car charger for my iPhone 6!), I also found some items that inspired me to create, namely: two plastic toy dinosaurs, and a pack of plastic coasters.

Confused yet? Well, we'll talk more about the plastic dinosaurs later, but for now - the coasters! Today I'm going to show you how I took these drab looking cork and plastic coasters, and made them glittery and fun -all for about $4!
take a look: 



Here's how I did it:
Supplies:
  • Coasters 
  • Glitter of your choice
  • Mod Podge
  • A foam brush
    • I already had the Mod Podge and foam brush and purchased the coasters and glitter from the Dollar Tree, however, Dollar Tree had ALL of these items when I was there (including mini bottles of mod podge!)
*The instructions only show one of the coasters being made, but I would recommend making them all at once (just remember to change up the glitter if you want more than one color!) to save time.

Step 1: Using your foam brush, coat the cork with a thin layer of mod podge, being careful not to get it on the plastic edges, like this:



    • If you do happen to accidentally get some mod podge on the plastic edge (like I did - oops :)) just take a q-tip and wipe it off.
Step 2: Sprinkle glitter of your choice onto the mod podge, like zis:

Until the podge' is completely covered, like so:

Step 3: Shake off any excess glitter. Pictured is my feeble & ultimately failed attempt to get it back into the container...

Step 4: At this point, it would be wise to let the first layer of mod podge/glitter dry - but who has the patience for that?! 
If you're impatient like me, continue full steam ahead! Apply a second thin coat of the podge' over the glitter (just make sure to use a gentle hand, so you don't completely destroy the first glitter podge' layer) By now, it should look like this:
    • As you can see, the q-tips once again did a fine job cleaning up my mess :)
Step 5: Sprinkle another layer of the glitter onto the mod podge
Then apply one more layer of the mod podge to "seal it" , and then muster up all of your patience and WAIT. 
and continue to WAIT. because these suckers take about 24 hours to dry completely.

But the wait is worth it, because once they're dry you'll end up with these glitzy beauties:


enjoy. :)


-xquitecreativex








No comments :

Post a Comment