Friday, March 13, 2015

DIY Customizable Wreath Tutorial

Here are the instructions for how I made this customizable wreath for only about $15!!!


Step 1: Gather Supplies
  • Scissors
  • Wire wreath frame 
    • I got mine in-store from Walmart for $2.00, but can also be found at Michaels & Hobby Lobby
  • 2 rolls of burlap garland (color: natural)
    • I also got these in-store from Walmart for $3.49 each, but can also be found at Michaels & Hobby Lobby
  • 1 roll of burlap garland (color: chocolate)
    • I purchased mine from Hobby Lobby for about $3.00, but can also be found at Michaels
  • 3 artificial sunflowers (or artificial flowers of your choice)
    • I bought these from the Dollar Tree for $1.00 each, but I'm sure you could find something similar at most craft stores
  • Chenille stems/pipe-cleaners (color: light brown)
    • (I found mine at Hobby Lobby for $.87)

Step 2: Start by tying the end of the light-colored burlap onto the inside of the wire wreath frame, like this:

Step 3: This step is going to be a little confusing, even though the process is super simple once you get the hang of it! I'm hoping the pictures will make it easier to understand.
 Heading towards the outer-most ring on the wreath frame, begin to weave the burlap over the middle two wires of the frame, and push about a 1 inch section of the burlap under the outer-most wire of the wreath frame. 


Now, head the other direction (towards the inside-most ring of the frame), weave over the middle two wires again (leave some slack so you don't pull out the 1 inch section you just pushed under), and push about a 1 inch section under the inner-most wire of the wreath frame.


Twist the burlap randomly as you move along, like this:

Continue to repeat this process, making sure to pack the burlap tightly as you make your way around the wreath frame.

I ran out of my first roll of burlap about halfway around the frame, and at this point it should look similar to this:
When you get to this point, tuck in/tie off the end of this roll of burlap, and start on your second roll, completing the same process until you make it all around the wreath frame, and then tuck in/tie off the ends.

Step 4: Flip the wreath frame over and begin "fluffing" the burlap by "opening up" and pieces of burlap that are folded in half, like this:



Continue to "fluff" the burlap all the way around the frame, making sure to "open them up" so that the pieces of burlap begin to cover the green wire frame from sight. For example - in this picture, the bottom half of the wreath has been "fluffed", while the top half has not:
(This picture is just for reference. At this point, the entire wreath frame should be covered in burlap.)

After you're done "fluffing" it should look like this:

Step 5: At this point, I watched this simple tutorial on youtube which walked me through the steps on how to make a beautiful burlap bow (out of the chocolate colored burlap garland)

Step 6: After making my bow, I played around a little bit with how I wanted to position the items on my wreath, and ended up liking this the best:

 Then I attached my pipe-cleaners to my items (super easy, since the sunflowers already had clips attached to them!)

And I just slipped a pipe-cleaner through the back of my ribbon, like this:

Then I just attached my items by wrapping the pipe-cleaners around the wreath to hold them in place, like this:

Now, just flip the wreath over - and there you have it - your very own customizable wreath! :)

Sit back and take a minute to admire your creation. Isn't it beautiful?! :)
And remember, you can easily just untwist the pipe-cleaners to mix and match, or add entirely different items to create a "new" wreath!
Enjoy!

-xquitecreativex







1 comment :

  1. AHHH this is so cool! Def. Gonna make this and give one to my mom!!

    ReplyDelete