Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Easy DIY Stud Earrings

Today, I'm going to show you how to make a quick and easy pair of DIY earrings. I was inspired to create this tutorial because I have a serious obsession with stud earrings (I mean honestly, it's a problem - if you saw my collection, you would understand!). They are just so versatile and there are so many different kinds, I feel you can never have too many. The only issue with stud earrings is that they are typically small, and can be easily broken/misplaced/lost, and if you're anything like my sister, this can happen quite frequently! In fact, she liked a pair of earrings that I owned so much, that I bought her the same pair as a gift:



They were a favorite of both of ours, but unfortunately she lost one of hers :( & ever since, I have been trying to find a similar replacement pair for her, but to no avail (Forever 21 no longer sells them!). Luckily, the other day, I was browsing the bead section at Michael's when I came across these:


Although they aren't exactly the same (unfortunately, they didn't come in "silver", and they are more rectangle-shaped than square), they are equally as sparkly and I figured they would be a good substitute to the real thing :).
Fortunately, the backs of these beads were fairly flat, so I knew I would have no problem converting them into a new pair of stud earrings. Here's how I did it:

Step 1: Gather supplies

  • Your choice of (2) buttons or beads  (I got mine from Michaels)
    • **Many kinds will work, as long as they have a flat back to them and are large enough to cover the post we will be gluing to them
  • Flat earring posts (I believe I got mine at Hobby Lobby, but they can also be found at Michaels)
  • E-6000 Glue (can be found at Walmart, Hobby Lobby, or Michaels)
  • Needle nose jewelry pliers (optional)


Step 2: Pick up one of your flat earring posts with either your fingers or jewelry pliers, and put a small dot of your E-6000 glue on the back of it (be careful not to put too much, or it will seep out of the sides during the next step!)

Step 3: Press the earring post firmly against the back of your bead - towards the top, where it would typically sit on a normal earring, like so:
(If some glue happens to seep out of the sides, just use a q-tip to gently wipe it away)

Step 4: Do the exact same thing to your second bead and they should look something like this:

Now here comes the hard part - you wait. It's best to let the glue dry for at least 12 hours, however, I usually give it about 24 hours just to be safe.

After the glue is dry, all you need is a pair of earring backs - I just borrowed them from a pair of studs I already own, or you can purchase some from Michaels or WalMart.


and THAT'S. LITERALLY. IT. Your'e done. Go enjoy your new earrings, or make another pair - you can thank me later ;)


P.S. - If you go to Michaels or Hobby Lobby for supplies, don't forget to check the website for a coupon! (Both stores typically have coupons offering 40% off a regularly priced item!)

-xquitecreativex















No comments :

Post a Comment